Thursday, June 14, 2012

Are Them Gluten Free Vegan Homemade Protien Bars?

(I started writing this blog a month and a half ago, and even though, it's out of sequence, the recipe is good:)

Isaac, storm trooper and Bella at the Autism 5k walk....a cause close to us!
I am slowly beginning to wrap my motivation and head around the goal of the finish line in late September, some time. At that time I will have completed my second marathon. But it is a challenge, starting up my routine runs. I was able to log in 4 miles on Sunday and 2 today. I took my beloved pooch, Lexi, whom will not accompany me on any run longer than a couple of miles (nothing fun about trying to coax my dog along). Speaking of running, I'm currently reading a book called "Born to Run" by Christopher McDougall.....it is interesting, and I am hoping to feel motivated and fall in love with running when I am done. We shall see. One thing that I am certain of, I don't like running on boring routes. I like flat terrain for only so long, then I want the challenge of making it to the top and finding my way down the hill. This love, is a new discovery, and I am pretty fortunate, because alaskan terrain gives me plenty of mixed terrain and trails to kick my tushy!

This brings me to another observation. Since becoming someone who runs (I'm not sure I'd call myself a "runner", quiet yet), I have noticed what other runners put in their bodies...Now, I'm not judging.....but boy, it really doesn't seem kind to me, at all...to put crazy gels and sports drinks, and justify eating fast food, because you run. That just doesn't seem healthy to me at all. Not just the food, but the mindset. At mile 23 of my marathon, last year, they had a bloody mary stand, and there were more than a few runners taking shots!  I give kudos to the tomato juice, but when you're body is taxed and dehydrated, why would you drink alcohol?

I am pretty sure my chia seed addiction carried me through my training and race day, last year. And it will again, this year.....

This is a recipe for some protein bars. my kids will eat them (if I leave out the goji berries, which i won't, so they pick them out :0)....These are great for on the go, and super tasty. I have not liked the protein bars in the store, for a very long time...

Gimme Some Protein Bars

 2 1/2 c of gluten free oats
1 c of dried fruit (I use a mixture of goji berries and raisins)
1/2 c of almond butter or peanut butter
1/2 c of pureed banana or applesauce
1/3 c of hemp seeds (hello protein!)
1/3 c of crushed nuts (I used pecans in the current batch)
1/3 c of chia seeds
1 scoop of sprouted brown rice protein powder (optional)
1/4 c of maples syrup (or honey, or agave)
2T of vanilla extract
pinch of salt

mix all ingredients in a bowl....I use my hands for this..... you will need to squeeze the mixture in the size balls you want...and squeeze tight (or you'll get more of a trail mix than a bar ;)

I dehydrate my bars overnight on 110, but I imagine it would be fine to put in the oven at 350 for 10 minutes, then check every 5 minutes till done....

I like mine to have a little moisture inside still...mmmm



Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment