Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Rain, Rain....oh Bah, vegan French Onion Soup Delight.

It has been raining for the past couple of days....In a fit of complete overwhelmingness, I took out the dvd player from my older son's room. It is summer in Alaska!! and a completely unacceptable thing, is to see my kids indoors playing Ds' and watching television! (winter activity) So I have felt like a judge and referee the past couple of days. (no tv? lot's of interactions) I am a little tired of the rain. And of all of us cooped up in the house, though.

 Some new events in our home are....we have another family living with us for the next several weeks. They have the whole basement to themselves. It has been an easy transition. This is our second time hosting a family, and the previous experience left everyone involved a whole lot more damaged than when we ever expected. But I didn't want that experience to keep me from doing something that I feel we will be doing for the rest of our lives (living with others in community). So when the opportunity to have another family stay with us, presented itself, well, how could we not say a resounding "yes!" The family sharing our house with us eats a whole lot like us, so that has made it a whole lot easier!!! Bella, my daughter, asked me "mom, do they eat like us?" a few days ago.....it made me smile....my daughter is ever aware that we don't eat what the typical American family eats....sometimes it's hard, when you want to fit in...and your mother doesn't think eating processed foods should be the compromise......sigh...

On the plus side, my garden (along with the massive weeds) are growing at rapid rates.... strawberries should be ready in a few weeks, kale should be harvested any day now, and my greenhouse looks like a jungle, as I have tried to use up every available space! I have 20 tomatoes several peppers, 7 cukes, 5 corn, habenero's, and herbs that I love (the basil is already being used)....it can only get better. This year is my first year using my greenhouse, and possibly, my last....as there is this growing longing for a larger garden and for goats and chickens to take care of....My dog Lexi, got into my newly sprouting baby carrots, and destroyed a bed...I can't tell you how bummed out it made me, and how I wished I could've caught her! Since I didn't, she is happily prancing outside following me while I check on the gardens, unaware that she commited a mortal sin....

 So today I made a recipe from here....I only slightly altered the soup to be vegan.....It is by far, my favorite soup. I shall be making it again, and again.....and again....

Vegan French Onion Soup
1/2 c of earth balance (you can use your favorite oil, I used the soy free earth balance)
3 large onions diced (I gotta wear goggles for this)
1 carton of mushrooms (I love the meaty flavor and I think it complements the onions)
fresh sprigs of thyme
a couple of bay leaves
salt and pepper to taste
1 c of dark red wine
1-2 quarts of veggie broth (make sure it doesn't have "natural flavoring" aka msg on ingredient lists, or make your own :)
a few slices of gf bread
sprinkles of daiya cheese

put first 5 ingredients in a pot and let simmer till onion is tender and caramelized (30-40 minutes depending on your onion cut)

meanwhile preheat oven to 350 and spread some earth balance on your bread....bake bread with butter for 5-10 minutes and then add sprinkles of daiya cheese.....

after it's the onions' ready, add 1 c of dark wine and let simmer till the wine evaporates....mmm... go ahead and add 1-2 quarts of veggie broth and bring to boil.....then reduce heat

cube up the gf toast with daiya and stick desired amount in bottom of a bowl.... scoop up some soup and slowly eat, so you can fully enjoy the extreme flavor delight.....yum!!!
I can almost smell the soup....mmmm...




Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment