Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Quinoa patties, please! vegan style!

When I decided to cut out meat (hello china study information), it was a gradual process. I can't quite remember the day or time that that i made that decision...it just kinda became something I didn't eat because I didn't feel good eating it....but when I did, I went to garden burgers, from their I went to vegan burgers (amy's)...but as I cut out gluten from my diet...all the processed vegan "meat" substitutes that had been very helpful in my transition, now were not so "healthy" to me....the ingredients always had gluten and then some other unknowns.....so, I have started making my own veggie patties....they are very easy to make. All you really need is patience when working with the batter, since it doesn't hold the same as animal flesh :) i have used rolled oats, any assortment of veggies cut up small.....and the seasoning is whatever you prefer.  Remember to add a binder like ground flax or chia seeds....

I take these type of patties with me when we go to family barbecues.  I keep them in the freezer for whenever I'm feeling like biting into some flavor. Here's what i did with this patty...first set the pan on medium heat. I prefer cast iron pans, but any will work. Also, set up some parchment paper because that is what you will want to transfer your patties onto.

Vegan Quinoa Veggie Patty

1 1/2c of cooked quinoa (cook like rice 1part quinoa to 2 part water/broth)
1/4c of ground flax
1/4c of chia seeds (or you can just double the flax, if you don't have chia)
1t salt
1t pepper
1/2-1c of blanched kale (you can use fresh spinach, whatever type of frozen or fresh greens available)
1/4c of filtered water

make sure your green veggies are cut up into small pieces...then mix all the rest of ingredients in a bowl. Put a tablespoon of preferred oil (i use olive).  You will need to form your patties.  I will usually set down a nice handful of the batter in a ball shape on the pan, and gently push it down to mimic a hamburger patty, with my spatula. About 3 minutes each side is all you will need. Transfer to your parchment paper, let cool down, then stick in freezer.  Once patties are frozen, you  can transfer the patties into individual baggies, ready for whenever you crave some.

i prepared this for Toby on fermented spelt buns that i make....but for me i put it on my raw cracker, spread some hummus and topped off with cucumber and tomatoes. Needless to say, it was a flavor party, and my taste buds danced!

Enjoy! Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment