Sunday, December 11, 2011

Vegan Coconut Curry Delight

It has become habit for me to oversleep on the weekends. I am trying to remedy this by getting out of bed after 8 hours of sleep. Ever since i cut out alcohol and coffee from my diet, i can sleep within 5-10 minutes of laying my head down. Having struggled with insomnia most of my life, I am very surprised and elated that i no longer have to (it's been a year now). Who knew, that is all my body needed? But weekends i don't have to get up early to send the kids off, so i have been oversleeping. Let me tell you, I wake up feeling terrible and cranky when I've slept too long. It will take me an hour, at least, to get focused.

I got up today and cleaned! Talk about being a hero. i have 3 floors in my home, it makes cleaning my whole house in a day, not ideal. So i take out a floor at a time. Truth be told, i do not enjoy cleaning, at all!!! I always feel like it's taking from time I'd rather be in the kitchen. I did it, though. I cleaned the basement/first floor, tomorrow is the 3rd floor.  Then i will be ready for the holidays. I can spend it in the kitchen and not feel guilty, lol.

Whenever i want to whip up something quick and that tastes amazing, I think curry! Ethnic food is pretty creative, full of flavor, and typically will not have animal ingredients. On the extremely rare occasions that we go out to eat, and they are pretty rare, we go to Thai restaurants. Since i live in the coldest place (recently, i read an article that gave Fairbanks the #1 ranking) it has honestly been very difficult to find good restaurants.  The food is rarely fresh and the prices never match the quality.
So this recipe is a great way to have a Thai restaurant experience. Get your rice cooking and prepared. You can use whatever Thai curry paste you want, I used this tonight.  You can also use whatever vegetables you want to flavor with. It is very versatile to your preference. Here's what you need:

Vegan Coconut Curry

1/2 a large onion cubed
2T of olive oil
1 bunch of fresh thyme
1bay leaf
1-2 garlic cloves
a few small pieces of fresh ginger (i store mine in the freezer, and grate it whenever i need it)
1/4c of tamari
1/4c of curry paste
2 cans of coconut milk
whatever veggies you have in your fridge...for this I used
1 carrots
1 zucchini
1 red bell pepper
1 head of broccoli

(I have used potatoes, blanched kale, and even fresh spinach....I bet frozen peas are perfect, as well)
In a pan heat your onions in the olive oil. Put fresh thyme, and bay leaves in the pan. Once the onions are cooking, add the curry paste and tamari. Blend well, add the rest of the veggies you have prepared. Add your coconut milk and let the ingredients simmer for 15 minutes...

You can put the curry on top of the rice (my favorite with this recipe is brown basamati, YUM!)

I would've had a much prettier picture for you to see, but i ate it before i took the picture :)
Enjoy!



Pin It Now!

2 comments:

  1. I think I can smell it from here. Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks marcia!!! i am hoping to get a better camera for all my photo's...they need some help...but this recipe doesn't!

    ReplyDelete