Sunday, March 10, 2013

Baby Chicks Drama and Gluten Free Vegan Zucchini Chocolate Chip Muffins

The other day a small miracle occurred in my house. We all sat down together and heard about our day. We do this thing around our table, when we eat together (it's not every night that we eat together, but it's a lot of nights), where we all take turns sharing our favorite part of the day, and our least favorite part of our day. Sharing was not the miracle, neither was the eating together....the miracle was what was on the plates. Every single plate had the SAME meal!!! I made some of that gluten free vegan pizza, the other night. I decided to skip making gluten crust and just make the gluten free....it was the easier choice...I made a pizza with a white sauce (always my favorite) and the traditional red red. Both came out tasty and my mouth had a party. I believe I ate almost the whole white sauce pizza by myself. So I took a picture of my momentous occasion, so that I could remember it.
I know that in most households one meal is made and that is it, but I have really not been that way. I make smoothies as meals in a second, and I believe, they are the more nutrient dense then anything I prepare, so I usually offer it to my kids as an alternative to the prepared meal. Isaac, my oldest, loves them. Since he has textural food issues, it is his favorite meal!

Today we went to a "church". I put that in quotes because I believe that a group of believers that intimately know and live together, and express Christ, qualifies as a church, more than a group of people who, out of tradition, gather together every Sunday, with smiles and greet each other, barely knowing what is going on in the life of the people that they greet. (<-Is that a terrible run on sentence?). But it was very good to be around other believers and listen to a sermon that was just the Word, with it's proper context. I think it will be a place that we begin to serve.

I have been watching my little foster grandbaby, because my foster daughter, got all 4 of her wisdom teeth pulled out. It is a strange thing to be watching over a baby, again. It's funny how instant, all the things I learned as a mom, come flooding back. It's about naps, food, diapers, and doing laundry. He's a great little boy, and somehow, it is incredibly easier, this time around. Maybe it's easier because he's not mine, permanently.

We got 9 baby chicks yesterday, and the chick drama began. First off, they are soooo flipping cute! But one of the chicks decided that it was a bully, and it never changed it's ways. This baby chick would go up to the lighter colored Buff Orpington's and peck at their eyes. It was awful! These helpless little chicks would get dragged around by their eyes, to the point of bleeding. When we finally had enough, Toby made up a wire cage to stick on top of our bully, so that she could see the others without being able hurt the other chicks. This made her "cheep, cheep" with a thunder that continued through the entire night. In the morning we would let her out, only to stick her right back in, because she'd bolt for one of the other chicks, to peck their eyes. She was unrepentant, but hated to be segregated. I sent her to my aunt Tami's to try her home, only to have her come home, because she pecked the eyes of her chicks, as well. Our bully's thunderous "cheep, cheep-ing" finally ended, as I returned her to the feed store I got her from.

But with baby chicks, I have to monitor all the chicks, all my kids, and one terribly troubled dog! Lexi wants so badly to "play" with them. Her tail wags, and she stares at them, pretty much the whole day! Fun!

When I came home today all I wanted to do was hang out in my kitchen. I made a couple of gf pizzas, a pot of Hungarian Mushroom soup (I am a creature of habit), and a couple dozen of these muffins. I routinely make up recipes for muffins. I absolutely love to use zucchini to soften my muffin batters, it is my favorite way to make a great batter. I doubled this recipe. Prepare oven for 350.
*I grind my own grains/seeds, I highly recommend it to everyone, either with a vitamix, or a mill, it saves so much money, and it's great to have rice as rice...or as a flour, etc*

Gluten Free Vegan Chocolate Chocolate Chips Muffins

1/2c garabonzo/fava flour
1/3c sweet brown rice flour
1/3c quinoa flour
1/3c buckwheat flour
1/3c melted coconut oil
1/4c ground flax (I use my coffee grinder, since my grinder would get no other action, otherwise)
1/2t salt
3t of baking powder
1/2t baking soda
2/3c coconut crystals
1/2c or so of chocolate chips
1c of coconut milk (add 1T of apple cider vinegar)
1small zucchini or half a medium/large one, you can grate it in your batter
*I blend the zucchini with half the mixed coconut milk*

Mix the dry ingredients first, add the wet, then add the chocolate chips... Bake for 20-24 minutes...My muffins take 22 minutes ;)Isaac ate 5 of them, right out of the oven. 


Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment